In Medias Res. A Tribute to Mieke Bal
Symposium * Book Launch * Exhibition, organized by ASCA and the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
It is a great pleasure to invite you to the special symposium ASCA and the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam are organizing as a tribute to Mieke Bal. This symposium also marks Mieke’s official departure from the University of Amsterdam.
In Medias Res, ‘in the midst of the action’, seems a particularly appropriate way to describe Mieke’s career. Her unstoppable energy, curiosity and creativity drove her across borders between academic disciplines to invent interdisciplinary methodologies, found new academic programs and inspire generations of young scholars. Even after her official retirement, she remains more active than ever, continuing her scholarly work but also having great success as an artist, curator and filmmaker. At the symposium, colleagues from the wide range of fields Mieke has intervened in will highlight the influence of her work.
- 14:45 Opening Room
- 15:00 Opening by Patricia Pisters, Director ASCA
- 15:10 Introduction of the speakers by Mieke Bal
- 15:30 Jon-Ove Steihaug (Munch Museum Oslo): Curating
- 15:40 Jonneke Bekkenkamp (Religious Studies, UvA): Bible Studies
- 15:50 Jonathan Culler (Comparative Literature, Cornell University): French Literature and Narratology
- 16:00 Maaike Meijer (Gender Studies Maastricht University): Feminism
- 16:10 Michelle Williams Gamaker (Filmmaker, Goldsmiths College London): Filmmaking
- 16:20 Griselda Pollock (Social and Critical Histories of Art, University of Leeds): Art Studies
- 16:30 Ria Lemaire (Latin-America Studies, Université de Poitiers): Founding Interdisciplinary Programs
- 16:40 Esther Peeren (Vice Director ASCA): Cultural Analysis
- 16:50 Closing by Mieke Bal
Book Launch In Medias Res (17:00)
In Medias Res. Inside Nalini Malani's Shadow Plays is the title of Mieke’s recent book on Indian artist Nalini Malani, which will be launched, by Mieke herself, after the symposium.
Opening Exhibition Nalini Malani: Transgressions
We are pleased that in conjunction with the appearance of Mieke’s book and the symposium, the Stedelijk Museum is organizing an exhibition of Malani’s work: Nalini Malani: Transgressions. You are invited to enjoy a sneak preview of this exhibition before the official public opening later that evening.
We cordially invite you to this festive event and look forward to greeting you there.
Please confirm your attendance to email@example.com. Entrance is free if you register before 10 March.
The next day, March 18th, an exhibition of Mieke's video installation Reasonable Doubt will be opened in Castrum Peregrini, Herengracht 401 Amsterdam, at 5 pm.