EYE College This is Film! – Lectures on exceptional film restorations and film heritage projects
From April 3 to May 15, EYE and the University of Amsterdam present This is Film! Film Heritage in Practice, a series of six public lectures at EYE devoted to notable projects in the field of film restoration and film heritage.
Giovanna Fossati (chief curator at EYE and professor of Film Heritage at the UvA) addresses recent restoration projects and presentation forms of film heritage, varying from pre-cinema to recent experimental films and Hollywood classics. Besides regular film projections in cinemas, the lectures cover exhibitions and alternative presentation formats. Each session features a guest speaker, a Q&A and film screenings, often accompanied by live music.
This is Film! Film Heritage in Practice, Thursday afternoon, April 3 to May 15, 2017 in EYE, IJpromenade 1, Amsterdam, eyefilm.nl/thisisfilm
This is Film! offers insight into what happens behind the scenes in film archives and museums and is aimed at everyone who loves film. The lectures are in English and can be attended as a series or on a one-off basis.
1) April 3, 16.00-18.30: What is Film Heritage?
Guests: EYE curators Rommy Albers (Dutch Film), Mark-Paul Meyer (Expanded Cinema) and Elif Rongen-Kaynakçi (Silent Film)
Screening: compilation of Short Film Pool titles selected and introduced by curators.
- Rain Sugar Eye (Yasmijn Karhof, NL, 2006, 12 min)
- Zoo (Bert Haanstra, NL, 1962, 11 min)
- Arthème opérateur (Ernest Servaes, FR, 1913, 7 min)
2) April 10, 16.00-18.30: Silent Film Restorations: The Chemistry of Color in Silent Cinema
Guest: Ulrich Rüdel (professor for Conservation and Restoration of Modern Media - film, photo and video - at HTW / University of Applied Sciences, Berlin)
- De Molens die juichen en weenen (Alfred Machin, NL, 1912, 7 min)
- Maudite soit la guerre (Alfred Machin, BE, 1914, 50 min)
3) April 24, 15.30-18.40: Beyond Restoration: Ross Lipman’s Notfilm (2015)
Guest: Ross Lipman (independent filmmaker, essayist, and archivist - formerly Senior Film Restorer at the UCLA Film & Television Archive)
Screening: Notfilm (Ross Lipman, VS, 2015, 128 min)
4) May 1, 16.00-18.30: Born Digital and Hybrid Film Heritage: Side by Side
Guests: Anne Gant (head of Conservation & Digital Access, EYE) and Carlijn Fransen (director)
- De Eenzame Eenheid (Carlijn Fransen, NL, 2016, 11 min)
- Side by Side (Christopher Kenneally, VS, 2012, 99 min)
5) May 8, 16.00-18.10: Exposing the Film Apparatus: The Magic Lantern
Guest: Sarah Dellmann (lecturer at Utrecht University, researcher project A Million Pictures: Magic Lantern Slide Heritage as Artefacts in the Common European History of Learning)
Screening: Annet Duller and Wim Bos will present a magic lantern show with live music
6) May 15, 15.30-18.40: Film Restoration Laboratories: L’Immagine Ritrovata
Guest: Davide Pozzi (director l’Immagine Ritrovata, Bologna)
Screening: A Fistful of Dollars (Sergio Leone, IT, 1964, 99 min)
T: +31 20 7582 317