Between Institution and Intoxication: How does Performance Philosophy Intervene?
Call for Contributions for the 4th Biennial Performance Philosophy Conference at the University of Amsterdam, Theatre Studies, Thursday 14 - Sunday 17 March 2019
The organizers of the 4th biennial Performance Philosophy conference are pleased to announce the topic Between Institution and Intoxication: How does Performance Philosophy Intervene? Researchers and practitioners are invited to explore intoxicating ways of intervening in institutions. We welcome contributions on interventions into, within or beyond artistic, educational and academic institutions.
Taking place in Amsterdam in the year of the 50th anniversary of the so-called "tomato incident", in which a 1969 Amsterdam audience of theatregoers performed a historic intervention into the antiquated institution of Dutch theatre by pelting the stage with tomatoes, the conference takes as its themes intervention, institution and intoxication. Instead of celebrating this occasion we propose it as an opportunity to inquire into the contemporary utility of these concepts —i.e. beyond their counter-cultural legacy.
In this conference we explore how the themes of Intoxication, Institutions and Intervention, the roots of which tend to be associated with the 1960’s, manifest themselves in contemporary philosophical discourses and performative practices as well as in a broader historical and geographical context.
Scholars, researchers and practitioners, both affiliated with institutions and independent, are invited to contribute to topics including but not limited to:
- Potentiality and procedurality of intervention
- Intervention as expression of critical thought
- Narratives of liberation and rupture
- Dissolution of institutional structures and its consequences
- Institutional forms of thinking
- Media and technology as new sites of intervention/intoxication
- Fictional institutions/role of imaginaries in interventions
- Performance of and intervention in text
- Performative ways of intervening in institutions
- Social critique and artistic creation
- Regional case studies of interventions in institutions
- Aesthetic dimension of intoxication
- Intoxication as pharmakon
- Intoxication in relation to the creation of art, co-creation and negation
- Politics of immanence
We invite contributions in a range of alternative formats next to ‘standard’ academic paper presentations. Alternative formats include no paper presentations, performance lectures and audio essays.
Further information about the conference topic, the formats and requirements for submission can be found on our website: https://performancephilosophy-amsterdam.nl/CALL-FOR-CONTRIBUTIONS
Proposals for all formats need to be submitted by Sunday September 30 2018 in one single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals for contributions will be answered by Friday November 9 2018.
· 70 EUR for salaried / waged delegates and presenters
· 35 EUR for unwaged / student delegates and presenters
These fees are put towards the costs of running the conference and/or towards future PP conferences.
Visit our conference website for more information
For questions about the conference please email