Call for applications | PhD Finishing Fellowships
The Faculty of Humanities invites applications for 0.5 FTE PhD Finishing Fellowships, tenable from January 1, 2018. Each fellowship will be for a period of up to 12 months. The award holder is required to deliver a completed dissertation (defined as "dissertation submitted to the examination committee") by the end of the fellowship period.
Who can apply?
Only PhD candidates currently registered with the Faculty of Humanities who have not previously received university or institutional funding for their research are eligible to apply. In principle, applications from PhD candidates who have previously received a fellowship from, or have been employed by, the University of Amsterdam, NWO or similar funding bodies (abroad) will not be considered.
How to apply?
To apply, the selection committee requests:
- a description of the PhD project (max. 500 words)
- a full academic CV, a list of MA scores and results
- a detailed overview of the chapters that have been written to date (including a word count for each chapter)
- a month-by-month schedule of the work to be carried out during the fellowship
- a PDF containing the complete text of all chapters written to date
- a letter of recommendation from both supervisors, which needs to comment on the current status of the candidate’s project and the viability of completing the project by the end of the fellowship period
Applications will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- the current status of the project and the viability of finishing the dissertation within the allotted time
- the track record of the candidate, based on the CV and the progress of the project over the previous years
- the track record of the supervisory team where it concerns the timely finishing of their PhD candidates
Please send your application to the secretary of the committee, Dr. Eloe Kingma (email: email@example.com) by October 1, 2017. Applications will be assessed by a review committee.
The committee will try to reach a decision by December, the fellowships will start on January 1, 2018.