Before any research involving questionnaires, interviews, experiments or observations commences, approval of the Ethics Committee must be obtained.
A growing number of academic journals as well as Dutch and European funding bodies now require the formal approval of an Ethics Committee before an article can be published or a subsidy granted.
Ethics Review Procedure
Approval of the Ethics Committee can be obtained via the Ethics and Data Management Review (EDMR) Portal.
To apply for a research review, please go to https://rr.uva.nl and select FGW – Faculty of Humanities and login with your UvAnetID. Create a new project (under My projects) and fill out the checklists and submit this alongside the Information brochure and Informed consent form.
Download standard forms for the Information brochure and Informed consent form here:
Download guidelines / procedures here:
The guidelines will be kept up to date and may change as the situation changes. Be sure to check for the latest version!
Only staff members can submit a project. However, Bachelor and Master students may assist their supervisor with preparing the application as a collaborator. The responsible supervisor, not the student, should supervise and submit the EC/GDPR review application.
The Ethics Committee will convene on:
- 8 October 2021 (deadline for non-standard projects 30 September 2021)
- 3 December 2021 (deadline for non-standard projects 25 November 2021)
- 28 January 2022 (deadline for non-standard projects 20 January 2022)
- 11 March 2022 (deadline for non-standard projects 3 March 2022)
- 22 April 2022 (deadline for non-standard projects 14 April 2022)
- 10 June 2022 (deadline for non-standard projects 2 June 2022)
* A project is considered non-standard if participants are <16, if there is a possibility of harmful or disadvantageous effects, chance findings, discomfort or if non-standard methods (for your field of research) are used.
The Ethics Committee consists of a chairperson, a professor of Ethics from the Philosophy Department and various members with specific areas of expertise covering all involved disciplines. The committee secretary is provided by the Faculty Office’s Research Department.
Ethics Committee secretary - email@example.com | T: 020 525 3054
Kloveniersburgwal 48 | 1012 CX Amsterdam – Bushuis | kamer F.1.11B