What we expect:
We expect visiting researchers to be active and visible in our research program. Guests are in regular contact with their hosts, participate in one or more research groups, present their work, and co-organize seminars, workshops or other events.
There are two options for visiting researchers to join ASCA.
1. Affiliated Researcher
The first option is the easy one of joining ASCA as affiliated researcher. You can simply come to Amsterdam and join the program. We can provide you with a letter of invitation—if you need one—, you can buy a library card (40 euros) and we can arrange free access to secured WIFI eduroam. We can add your name to the list of affiliated researchers on the ASCA website. And if you want, we will add you to our mailing list and you will be kept informed of all our activities, which you are welcome to join.
What we offer affiliated researchers:
- Affiliated researchers at ASCA have full access to the program;
- They can receive a formal letter of invitation;
- They will receive the monthly newsletter;
- They have free access to secured WIFI Eduroam;
- They can buy a Library Card and make use of the workspaces available in the library and other UvA buildings
- Their affiliation will be shown on the ASCA website.
2. Guest Researcher
The second option is the more complicated and restricted one of joining ASCA as a guest researcher: This option is only open to researchers who have received independent funding to do a postdoc project at ASCA and to researchers who will make a considerable contribution to the ASCA program, for example by closely working together with an ASCA member on the organization of a seminar/reading group or by presenting their work and contributing in other ways to one or more research groups.
What we offer guest researchers:
- Guest researchers receive everything affiliated researchers receive, plus:
- a staff card which gives access to the library and other facilities;
- an UvAnet ID which allows them to upload a personal page on the UvA website;
- assistance with their VISA applications;
- ASCA can also refer guest researchers to the UvA Housing Department, which might be able to assist you in finding a place to stay.
Duration of your stay:
- As a rule, the maximum duration of the affiliated and guest researcher status is one year (with the exception of externally funded postdocs, who can get an extension for the duration of their postdoc).
- For guest researchers the minimum duration is 6 months.
How to apply:
- All affiliated and guest researchers need to have a host, an ASCA staff member who is willing to support their application and to provide guidance once they have arrived. So the first step is to find a host by studying the ASCA research program, seminars and reading groups, and the ASCA members list and contact someone who shares your research interests or whose research group or seminar you would like to join.
- Affiliated guests: Write a short paragraph (max. 150 words) of what you plan to do and which group, seminar or reading group you will join. Send this to your host and to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a short bio (100 words), the period you want to spend in Amsterdam, and a draft of the invitation letter, if you need one.
- Guest researchers: Fill out the guest research application form (which will be provided by your host), have it co-signed by your host, and send it, together with your CV and a copy of your ID, to ASCA email@example.com. Please do this at least 3 months before you want to arrive in Amsterdam.
- If your application is approved, you will be informed within about a month. About a month after the approval (longer if you need a visa), you will receive an e-mail with your UvAnet ID and the request to activate it and to upload your CV and ID onto an online database.